18.6.15

Adventures of a Babysitter - When You Say No...

You can't help but laugh when a toddler comes right up into your face, wagging his little finger, determined to put you in your place as he sternly proclaims "last time, NOW!"
I had failed! I had tried so hard to get my favourite two year old to nap but, for the first time ever, his lack of interest in sleep won him the ability to stay awake; victory was his. I had given in to defeat and he was allowed to skip his afternoon nap under two conditions - we remain in his room until lunch time and the room was going to remained dark. He agreed so I lay on his bed while he played. Of course the deal only lasted like 3 minutes long as the dark room of confinement soon became a place of boredom for him.

He was eager to get out. At first, he politely requested that the door to be opened. I reminded him that we had agreed to remain in his room until lunch time. Cleverly, he announced that it was now time for lunch. I declined and explained to him that lunch would only take place in 30min. So he kept himself busy by asking me to sing a warped version of the "Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly". Once the rhyme got old, he decided to give his escape action plan a second attempt, and after browsing through some of his books, he decided that one of them needed to be placed on the dining room table...

Him: Dee Dee (that's what he calls me), need to put book on table.
Me: ok, we can put the book on the table later.
Him: put book on table now!
Me (just wanting to chill for a little while): No! (Usually I try and reason with him, but today, I was in the mood to see what would happen if I just said no)
Him (quite surprised, yet determined): Now!
Me (eager to see where this would lead): No!
Him (a lot sterner - yes, it's a word now): Now!
Me (totally loving this): No!

That's when he placed the book down, walked over to my face, wagged his little finger at me and said, "last time... NOW!" I laughed so much, I couldn't help but tell him that he is just too cute! He stared at me unimpressed for a while and then proceeded to play with his dinosaurs. I may have lost the nap battle but I definitely won the "who's in charge" battle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment