24.10.13

Adventures of a Babysitter - When Kids Say The Funniest Things

I was babysitting my favourite siblings the other day, and they had decided that we were going to be watching The Goonies despite the fact that they had seen it a couple of times before. Although I had never seen the movie before, I was asked to keep an eye out during it's screening because even though they had seen it and it wasn't too kiddie unfriendly, there were moments that required adult supervision; of course I used the opportunity to check out the film. Unfortunately...
When you've got kids watching a film with you, the chances of actually watching the film properly are exceptionally slim. I found myself not only making sure the kids were ok, but answering a whole lot of questions about what was happening (or going to happen) and why..? This was particularly challenging since I had no idea what was happening. So... I relied heavily on intuition, film predictability and a 5 year old's account of the film.



After a variety of many different questions and mini conversations with the 2 year old, there was one particular scene that highly intrigued her (one of the highlights of the evening really). The characters had wandered into an underground tunnel thing-a-ma-bobble, ended up at a wishing well and were now trying to get out. At this point, the 2 year old was eager to figure out what was going on...







Her - Sekko! (she can't quite say my name just yet)

Me - yes?

Her - what are they doing?
Me - they are trying to escape
Her - why?
Me - because they want to go home
Her - I want to go home
Me (confused) - but you are home
Her - why are you in my home?
Me (now extremely confused) - because I wanted to hang out with you
Her - oh...

And that was it... That was the essence of that entire conversation. While I scratched my head wondering what had just happened; she happily continued watching the film and chowed down on some popcorn... 

And that right there ladies and gentlemen is a fantastic reason to have children... Despite the frustrations, lack of sleep and great expense, they are so worth it! Seriously.... free entertainment all day everyday - like hello... BONUS!!

Maybe I'm just naive because I don't have any of my own yet, but from what I've heard from most parents (and the little I've experienced), children are a great source of joy. They say and do the randomest yet funniest things... They are dull moment nullifiers, who fill your life with sunshine and smiles - and just sooo much fun! Yes they have their moments, as we all do, but oh my goodness, the good in this case far out weighs the bad - ALWAYS!!! (well in my experience anyway)

P.S - I'm not sure when I started advertising having children, but I know that if you act now, you'll get a host of temper tantrums (of which some are quite laughable), bed time adventures (this really is an adventure) and much much more.. absolutely FREE!

*PLEASE NOTE - potty training is not included*

Terms and conditions do apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment