4.7.16

I Will Not Be Offended!

"Offense is taken and not given" - I hate this saying! Mainly because it is often used as a loophole to intentionally offend people without having to face the consequences. Sort of like a free ticket to be mean. Today however, I learnt about the innocence behind this phrase...

I had just finished playing drums for the junior phase of our holiday club, when I walked past a rather intrigued little boy on my way to the back of the auditorium. I had apparently confused him and he couldn't help but stop me to clarify his bewilderment...

Him: Are you a boy or a girl?
Me (trying not to be offended): What do you think?
Him: You're a girl
Me (breathing a lot easier): Well, that's right!
Him: But girls can't play drums!
Me (a little confuzzled): Why not?
Him: Because only boys are allowed to play drums
Me (with a smirk): Well, I like playing the drums

I smiled and rubbed his head, and then carried on my merry little way (it was sermon time, so I couldn't really chat to him). As I reached the back of the auditorium eager to share the story with my worship pastor, I realised two things...

1. We seriously need to stop teaching our kids that they can only do that which has been societally assigned to them.

2. By just doing what I love, I impacted a little boy's life. I may not have inspired him to play the drums (or any kind of instrument for that fact of matter), but I definitely made a small dent in his perspective. Today, that little boy went home and told his mommy and/or daddy about the girl he saw behind the drums (and hopefully he thought I was good - but that's not the point). It may have sparked a conversation or it may have had no affect at all. However, that moment totally influenced and encouraged him to see things a little differently.

So be encouraged, what you love to do may not be big and flashy, and it may seem a little insignificant to you, but keep doing it diligently because it could change, impact and/or encourage someone unexpectedly.


1 comment: