19.9.15

Adventures of A Babysitter - The Mischief

I was hanging out with two of the most amazing siblings in the world one evening, when I realised how subtle sibling rivalry can be... Usually there are 4 of us (the siblings and me), but the youngest had decided that it would be more fun hanging out with granny, so it was just the 3 of us.
They are calm, fun loving boys and other than hurting each other every so often because of rough play, the brothers seem to be quite tight; every now and then though, their subtle mischievousness comes out...

On this particular evening, while preparing their bedtime drink (milk), I noticed that the middle boy's powdered milk was nonexistent. While I attempted to locate it, the older brother was having a field trip causing havoc in the kitchen (as if it was all new to him), so I decided to give up the search, contact the mother for details and sort the older sibling out with his drink.

After handing the older boy his bottle, I waited for the mom to respond about the younger brother's drink. The younger boy, noticing his lack of milk, asked where his bottle was. As I tried to explain that I was just waiting for his mom to respond, his older brother says "maybe you just aren't getting milk."

Now if you know kids well enough, you'll know that this is the most traumatising statement you can make to a 2 year old and it worked like a charm. The younger boy burst into tears as the older boy crept into a corner to observe the effects of his statement...

Thankfully the mom got back to me as the pear lost its shape and I was able to save the day before too many tears where shed, but it was interesting to see the mischievous side of a toddler at work in a strategic yet somewhat, vindictive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment