11.10.13

Just Let It Out

They say change is as good as a holiday. I don't know what kind of holiday "they" were referring to, but it doesn't sound like the type of holiday I wanna be on! Holidays are supposed to be fun and relaxing, not stressful and depressing! Anyway, change is inevitable - often unannounced, it happens all the time whether we're ready for it or not.


I'd like to think that I'm the kinda person who handles change really well, but I'm not... I
hate change! And unless I've got an advanced detailed step by step guide of how and when it's all gonna happen, I don't really do well with change.


To say that I have experienced a lot of change recently would be the understatement of the century. Change and I have been battling it out for the last couple of weeks and I've been owned. I've been swallowed up, spat out and completely over taken by change and it hasn't been fun. And, just when I think it's over and I can finally get my head above the water... BOOM!!! More unexpected change! 



Now, I know that not all change is bad, but it is necessary and not all change is easy but it
is worth it. Change brings about growth; it challenges mediocrity and pushes beyond the boundaries. It helps us out of our comfort zone and encourages us to think outside box. So all in all, change is good! But why then, if it is so good, is it so hard to deal with? And why is it so often coupled with pain??

As I dive head first into yet more unexpected change (story of my life), I can honestly say I simply don't have the answers to those questions. I could give you the pretty, all encouraging, super comforting, generic answers that we're all accustomed to; but truth be told... I just don't know.

I don't know why one day life can be all sunshine and roses, and the next it feels like all hell's broken loose! I don't know why sometimes we seem to have it all together and then suddenly it's all falling apart. I don't know why one moment you can be completely whole, and then with absolutely no warning you're being ripped to shreds! I don't know why when one door opens another closes, why the truth hurts and why love is just a feeling that supposedly "ends". I don't know why these things happen but when they do, it sometimes it just hurts...

Now that I've made life miserable, even though it's really not, the point I 'm trying to make with all of this, is that often, though we already know it and are too scared to admit it - life is tough and sometimes it can make you sad! Sometimes there is just not enough sugar in the world to sweeten up the lemons of life - although, in my opinion, using salt would probably be the better option and maybe adding a little bit of tequila on the side could help too (ha ha ha just kidding!). Basically, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes you're not going to be ok and life's not going to be ok and when that happens, it's ok not be ok...

We've become so accustomed to suppressing our emotions for fear of being seen as weak, that we've forgotten that we're human and that we're supposed to feel. Then we wonder why weeks, months and even years later, with absolutely no explanation, we just suddenly explode. Well if you know anything about pressure build up, keep stuff like that hostage in your system for long enough and eventually something's gonna give and it ain't gonna be pretty!

So, this is basically me encouraging you to just let it out - the time for keeping it all wrapped up is over. We've got to stop pretending, stop faking and stop braving the pain and start acknowledging, embracing and dealing with what we feel - let it out.

Now, this is not a free ticket for you to take a one way trip to deppro-ville, and it's most certainly not the answer to all of life's problems, but if you happen to be going through a tough time, facing some ridiculous challenges or dealing with change... this is your opportunity to blow off some steam; get some stuff off your chest - scream, shout, cry, get angry, speak out - no judgement, no condemnation, just release!

Trust me, it'll make you feel better. I mean you'll still need to deal with the issues, changes and problems in your life, cause those unfortunately don't just go away. But at least you'll know that you won't cause an awkward moment when you just randomly burst into tears (or bite someone's head off) for no reason at all while being
politely greeted one day (unless of course there's a legit reason for that, but that's a different story). And it keeps you emotionally healthy - double WIN!!

So go ahead, have your go, make as much noise as you need to, take as much time as you want... Just get those emotions out of your system, then take a deep breathe and brace yourself for the next level of change...

No comments:

Post a Comment