24.1.14

Beggars Can Be Choosers... Apparently

While driving home sick from work one morning, I come across a guy I often see at the traffic lights asking for money except he was on a different side of the road (I guess he was changing things up). I have a policy of not giving money out no matter the situation. I believe people should work and earn an income not just depend on hand outs, I do however, understand that in some cases, this is not possible, and so I am very happy to offer food and clothes as an alternative.



So as this man makes his way down the road towards my car while the traffic light is red, I remember having some fruit in my lunch box that I was obviously not going to be eating, so I reach into my box to get it for him. Now my lunch box looks a lot like a bag and as I reached my hand inside it, I could see a glimmer of excitement begin to grow in the man's eyes; of course this automatically excites me too because at that moment I knew that I was about to make someone's day, which in turn would make my day - WIN!!!!

However, I watched his excitement slowly turn to disappointment, as I pulled out my fruit filled hand from the box; and while attempting to unwind the car window, I noticed him shaking his head and pointing to his can. Perplexed I paid him a little more attention and realised that he was trying to gesture his disapproval of the fruit in an attempt to encourage me to give him money instead.
Say what??? You have nothing and you're about to get something, yes, it may not have been what you had initially hoped for, but it's definitely something... Something that you need and you have the audacity to decline because it's not what you wanted... Really?? Begging on the side of the road and you're going to be picky about what you're given...???

Well, let's just say that he didn't get the money and I kept the fruit... although disappointed, the entire situation reminded me how important it is to be thankful... just cause it's not what you wanted and/or expected, doesn't mean that it's not worth it... Does that even make sense??

No comments:

Post a Comment